So, tried to do this. Failed… Why? not because there was a issue with the share or the user/pass combination. It was the SMB process and stack locations in the I/O request packets (IRPs) that are used by Windows. Reference: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734424(v=ws.10).aspx
To increase IRPStackSize for the server:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click to select the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanserver\Parameters
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type IRPStackSize, and then press Enter.
- Right-click IRPStackSize, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, ensure decimal is selected and put in 20. Increase by 2 until it works. I ended up using 28.
Restart the server service to test or restart your PC. The process restart is faster :)